Wednesday, August 27, 2008

ENOS HAD A HUNGRY SOUL!


Last night I spoke at a baptism for a young man who fell in love with the Book of Mormon. He is well versed in the Bible and eager to learn more of the word of God from the Book of Mormon. I struggled a bit as to what I should say as an official welcome into the YSA ward. (The Bishop was out of town, so I had the official duty). I wanted him to know that we didn’t consider him totally unschooled about the Savior and the word of God, but that he, because of his conversion, would begin to have “treasures of knowledge” opened to him. The Holy Ghost would be his constant companion and would teach him all the things he would need to gain salvation.

I prepared a talk, but it didn’t seem to fit. And then while I was waiting to speak I remembered Enos and his conversion. I read Enos 4-9

4. And my soul hungered; and I kneeled down before my Maker, and I cried unto him in mighty prayer and supplication for mine own soul; and all the day long did I cry unto him; yea, and when the night came I did still raise my voice high that it reached the heavens.
5 And there came a voice unto me, saying: Enos, thy sins are forgiven thee, and thou shalt be blessed.
6 And I, Enos, knew that God could not lie; wherefore, my guilt was swept away.
7 And I said: Lord, how is it done?
8 And he said unto me: Because of thy faith in Christ, whom thou hast never before heard nor seen. And many years pass away before he shall manifest himself in the flesh; wherefore, go to, thy faith hath made thee whole.
9 Now, it came to pass that when I had heard these words I began to feel a desire for the welfare of my brethren, the Nephites; wherefore, I did pour out my whole soul unto God for them.

His hungry soul was fed.

No comments: